Actually, I think that JR has them cheapest. I'm pretty sure that they're under $10 for the large Credo-type elements there, plus you can get a nice digital hygrometer there as well. (I'll teach you how to do the salt test with it later!)
I needed to get some cheap machine-made smokes for the upcoming season, so I decided to be the one to "test" this guy out before involving anyone else so no one else would get ripped off in the event that he was a shadester. His prices were pretty reasonable (slightly more expensive than Ravi, on par with PE), but with him it was more of what he had in stock. I ordered a box of Ramon Allones Belvderes for around $80 right about the same time Kev and I ordered the Piedras from CgarsLtd. Ravi doesn't really deal with machine-made smokes anymore, and everything I was even remotely interested in with PE was sold out. They arrived today (from Switzerland!) and are good to go. So, in the event that Ravi or the Bjork Bros. don't have what we want, we have another vendor to order from.
Awesome. Im under the theory that you should buy them when you can, because you never know when there will be another opportunity. Esecially in the case of a good sale. Thats good news. The new humi arrives tomorrow! Yipee.... Cant wait to unload the plastic containers and traveldor into the new box. I picked up a jumbo humidifier from JR last night so I am set to go!
Here's how to do the salt test (aka "Chemistry and Cigars"):
Get a mason jar (or some airtight container, but a clear jar is best) and a bottlecap (like from a Snapple). Pour some salt in the bottle cap and dampen it with water. Do not put so much in that the salt gets "soupy" -- you just want a damp pile of salt. Place both the hygrometer and the bottle cap full in the mason jar and close it up. After 8 hours in the damp salt environment, the vapor pressure inside the jar will be exactly 75%. Compare it to your hygrometer; if it isn't at 75%, you'll know exactly how off your hygrometer is. Note the amount and direction that it reads and just to add or subtract that amount when it's in your humidor. (Like if your hygrometer reads 72%, you know that you have to add 3% to whatever the humidity reads inside your humidor.)
So pedro arrived last night. Awesome. I got the humidity up to 70% as of this morning. When I get home today, I am going to load it up with the cigas. I did the salt test and i came out with 73% so Im -2 degrees. Not bad. If colonial opens this weekend (we should hear today) i plan on bringing my little humi out there. I just need to get an extra lighter and maybe a cutter so we always have smokes while we are golfing.
Glad to hear the salt test worked out. Now there's no guessing as to how your hygro reads.
I think that leaving the mini-dor at Colonial is a great idea as long as it keeps good humidity. You might be better served with tupperware and a few humipacks. I have that lighter/scissors combo thingy that I just leave in my golf bag all the time. You might want to look into something like that.
To be honest, though, a $2 cutter and a Bic work just as well... (they just don't look as cool!)
12 comments:
Actually, I think that JR has them cheapest. I'm pretty sure that they're under $10 for the large Credo-type elements there, plus you can get a nice digital hygrometer there as well. (I'll teach you how to do the salt test with it later!)
Sounds kinky (salt test), Okee, i may take a walk over later
No, the salt test is great -- it's the perfect way to calibrate your hygrometer.
calibrate your hygrometer sounds kinky too...
"I'd like to Calibrate YOUR Hygrometer, baby!"
I see a pink cupcake joke a' comin'....
New cigar vendor: www.cubanlous.com
I needed to get some cheap machine-made smokes for the upcoming season, so I decided to be the one to "test" this guy out before involving anyone else so no one else would get ripped off in the event that he was a shadester. His prices were pretty reasonable (slightly more expensive than Ravi, on par with PE), but with him it was more of what he had in stock. I ordered a box of Ramon Allones Belvderes for around $80 right about the same time Kev and I ordered the Piedras from CgarsLtd. Ravi doesn't really deal with machine-made smokes anymore, and everything I was even remotely interested in with PE was sold out. They arrived today (from Switzerland!) and are good to go. So, in the event that Ravi or the Bjork Bros. don't have what we want, we have another vendor to order from.
Awesome. Im under the theory that you should buy them when you can, because you never know when there will be another opportunity. Esecially in the case of a good sale. Thats good news. The new humi arrives tomorrow! Yipee.... Cant wait to unload the plastic containers and traveldor into the new box. I picked up a jumbo humidifier from JR last night so I am set to go!
Did you get a hygrometer, too?
Here's how to do the salt test (aka "Chemistry and Cigars"):
Get a mason jar (or some airtight container, but a clear jar is best) and a bottlecap (like from a Snapple). Pour some salt in the bottle cap and dampen it with water. Do not put so much in that the salt gets "soupy" -- you just want a damp pile of salt. Place both the hygrometer and the bottle cap full in the mason jar and close it up. After 8 hours in the damp salt environment, the vapor pressure inside the jar will be exactly 75%. Compare it to your hygrometer; if it isn't at 75%, you'll know exactly how off your hygrometer is. Note the amount and direction that it reads and just to add or subtract that amount when it's in your humidor. (Like if your hygrometer reads 72%, you know that you have to add 3% to whatever the humidity reads inside your humidor.)
Got it?
Got it. I actually have to Hygrometers. One digital and one analog. Cant wait for the new humi....
It's a good box, keeps good humidity and the pull-out tray is a nice plus.
Now to order more cigars!
(Unless Gus brings us back a whole stash...)
So pedro arrived last night. Awesome. I got the humidity up to 70% as of this morning. When I get home today, I am going to load it up with the cigas. I did the salt test and i came out with 73% so Im -2 degrees. Not bad. If colonial opens this weekend (we should hear today) i plan on bringing my little humi out there. I just need to get an extra lighter and maybe a cutter so we always have smokes while we are golfing.
Glad to hear the salt test worked out. Now there's no guessing as to how your hygro reads.
I think that leaving the mini-dor at Colonial is a great idea as long as it keeps good humidity. You might be better served with tupperware and a few humipacks. I have that lighter/scissors combo thingy that I just leave in my golf bag all the time. You might want to look into something like that.
To be honest, though, a $2 cutter and a Bic work just as well... (they just don't look as cool!)
Post a Comment